Believe it or not, there is a wrong way to remove these little parasites.
This article is for both pet owners, and professionals alike.
What are you doing about it?
Even with the best tick prevention our dogs, cats and horses will still manage to attract the occasional tick.
There are many techniques describing tick removal, but not all of them are a good idea – especially when having to remove even a venomous tick like the Paralysis Tick found here in South Africa.
Yes, there is a wrong way of removing a tick and then there is a right way.
The aim of removing a tick properly, is to do so painlessly, safely and without difficulty.
To achieve this, please remember the following:
- Do NOT remove a tick with your fingers.
- Ticks carry unpleasant diseases which are harmful to both humans and pets. Anyone who has suffered from Tick Bite Fever can attest to this.
- As a result, tick saliva, blood or stomach contents are not something to encourage you to come into contact with.
- Pulling on a tick, even with a tweezers can tear apart the tick along the body or worse, leaving the mouth parts still embedded in your skin or the skin of your dog, cat or horse. This can lead to horrible infections, swelling and pain.
Never squash, squeeze or crush a tick.
These are again more reasons for you not to use your fingers.
Ask yourself the following:
if this tick is full of infectious agents or (in the case of the Paralysis Tick which are found right here in South Africa) venom, do I really want to squeeze more of it into me or my dog, cat or horse?
Do not apply chemicals directly to the tick.
Many of these will annoy the tick enough for it to eventually let go – that’s if it doesn’t die while still attached (even a dead tick needs to be removed safely without cross-contaminating you).
By applying nail varnish remover, petroleum jelly, repellents or a lighted match will only harm the tick while its head is embedded in your skin.
It cannot let go quickly.
The tick will contract or vomit and inject more infectious agents or paralysis venom into you or your pet.
Although many owners “get away” with the above techniques, there are far better, safer alternatives. The O’Tom Tick Twister is not only easy on the pocket but eliminates the risks associated with old-style, traditional tick removal methods completely.
A tool designed by a veterinary professional to remove ticks effectively and is an inexpensive, re-usable lifesaver.
The O’Tom Tick Twister is the only tick removal tool that allows the user to hold the tick without compressing the abdomen. Remove the tick by twisting motion rather than pulling.
This techniques has been proved the safest way to remove ticks completely – with all the mouth parts removed too! The entire tick is removed quickly and easily.
The O’Tom Tick Twister is a robust tool that is alcohol, ether and solvent resistant; non-toxic; totally recyclable and can be incinerated without emitting any chloride fumes.
Everyone living in a tick affected area should have one, especially those in danger from paralysis ticks.
For professionals like veterinarians, groomers, military personnel, paramedics (the small hook is safe for bee sting removal), the O’Tom Tick Twister is an essential working tool of the trade similarly for forestry workers, farmers, hikers etc
Please contact us for more information regarding tick safety or any of our products.