There is a Dark Side of NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs)
When it comes to medication, we all read the Package Insert: Side Effects. Adverse things to watch for when we take medications.
While an excellent short term pain killer, even NSAIDs have a dark side. The dark side starts to get really serious when using NSAIDs long term. Arthritis or hip dysplasia is a long term disease.
NSAIDs may cause more damage to our pets’ long term arthritis than the disease they’re designed to treat. Manufacturers tell us: “In general, these medications are well tolerated by most pets.” True in the short term, but particularly for long term use, they may not always tell you…
NSAIDs do have potentially dangerous side effects for our fur buddies
- A two to threefold increase in gastrointestinal bleeding has been reported with NSAIDs.
- Symptoms may include vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, nausea and cramps.
- NSAIDs can damage the liver and kidneys, which may aggravate pre-existing hypertension (high blood pressure).
- Specific signs of toxicity are vomiting, loss of appetite, jaundice, lethargy, or dark stools (which indicates intestinal bleeding).
How NSAIDs can worsen Arthritis in dogs and cats (and people)
The other serious concern related to NSAIDs – animal research evidence shows that NSAIDs for dogs may even damage cartilage, making osteoarthritis worse.
Ways NSAIDs can damage your pet’s cartilage include:
- Some NSAIDs slow down cartilage repair.
- Some NSAIDs increase cartilage destruction.
- NSAIDs can minimize joint pain to the point of encouraging excess activity. Further damage to the cartilage occurs while offering no protection to the joint.
How can you avoid these problems?
Use NSAIDs sparingly over short periods – always under veterinary supervision. The effectiveness of NSAIDs may level off causing the discomfort to return, and the whole process starts over again.
No one wants to our fur buddies to keep struggling with this painful process.
There is a better, safer way to ease their pain and “plump up” withered joints to make them move easily again.
There is a product that is as safe as a natural product
but as effective as a pharmaceutical product.
Sashas Blend. So much more than a supplement. The very first nutraceutical in Australia to get a full pharmaceutical registration.
We had to prove that Sashas Blend is just as good as NSAIDs.
We did – and more!
Sashas Blend goes beyond the pain to actually help REPAIR the problem by:
- Increasing cartilage cell viability
- Reduces loss of GAGs from the cartilage matrix
- Reducing pain and inflammation
- Bolstering the synovial fluid production inside the joint capsule, increasing the cushioning within your dog’s aching joints
- Reduces pain and damaging oxidation of the synovial cell membranes within the joint
Sashas Blend is safe to take long term.
Even while taking NSAIDs short term, Sashas Blend may provide protection to the stomach and other organs. Components of Sashas Blend are known to help protect the gastro-intestinal tract and other organs, protecting against some of the side effects of NSAIDs.